The installation was successful and I've played it for a bit. There are a couple of issues though:
- I can't seem to put it into windowed mode
- It sometimes hangs when I quit while actually in a game. I usually get out of this by doing a
Ctrl-Alt-Backspaceand going back to the gdm.
So here's what I did:
- First things first, make sure you have a copy of the original Baldur's Gate, it's expansion: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. You have to have all of them. If you don't, I suggest getting the Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 boxset.
- Make sure you have the following packages installed: mmv, tofrodos, and wine. If you don't have them or you are unsure just execute the following command:
$ sudo aptitude install build-essential mmv tofrodos wine unrar-free unzip libjpeg62-dev zlib1g-dev
$ winecfgUnder the "Audio" tab, make sure that only the box labelled "OSS" is checked. Click OK.
- Download and save winetricks into a folder in your PATH. Execute:
$ ./winetricks directplay
- Download Mos Pack and extract the contents of the
sourcedirectory within. I extracted the files into
$ cd /home/haris/src/mospack $ make -f makefile.unixThis will create the executables
- Move, copy or create symlinks for the resulting
mosunpackin a folder in your PATH.
- Using wine, install Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. Make sure you install everything. I installed Baldur's Gate at
/home/haris/games/baldursgateand Baldur's Gate 2 at
/home/haris/games/baldursgate2. When you see these folder names in this post just change them to match where you installed the games on your system.
- Then, if you need to, download the appropriate patches for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 from Bioware's site and install those too.
- Download Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and extract it into your Baldur's Gate 2 folder. The current version is 1.08.
- Download bgt_linux.rar and also extract it into your Baldur's Gate 2 folder
- Download the Linux version of WeiDU. Unzip it into a folder in your PATH. Personally, I extracted to a new folder and added that folder to the PATH. Whatever you choose to do, switch to whatever folder you extracted it to and execute:
- Change to your Baldur's Gate directory and execute
$ cd /home/haris/games/baldursgate $ tolower
- Change to your Baldur's Gate 2 directory and execute
$ cd /home/haris/games/baldursgate2 $ tolower
- Still from your Baldur's Gate 2 folder execute:
- When prompted, type in the location of your Baldur's Gate install. In my case this is
- After the installation is done, put in your Baldur's Gate 2 CD and type:
$ wine baldur.exe